Senior Research & Development (R&D) Engineer - Job Description
There’s an exciting new job opening at Ozow for an experienced Senior Research & Development (R&D) Engineer. Do you have what it takes? Get in touch today!
Ozow is a young, exciting company which continues to reach new heights and the opportunities for growth are endless. We have a number of new projects we are eager to get off the ground and need your experience and expertise to make it happen.
If you are looking for a fast-paced environment where your input is valued and makes a difference, then embark on a journey of a lifetime with the Ozow team.
Ozow is a simple to use, real-time EFT payment solution, that allows the consumer access to make secure,
instant payments directly into a merchant's bank account. This payment gateway facilitates transactions via eCommerce, mobile, e-Billing and in-store transactions.
What the job entails
To research and keep up to date with new technology. Create uses cases of industry related solutions using technology. Execute proofs of concepts fully performing software in compliance with coding standards and technical design. Responsibilities will include development, writing code, and documenting functionality. Full proof of concept reporting and recommendations are to be documented and handed over to the business.
Reporting to the head of R&D, a Senior R&D Developer with strong experience in Programming Fundamentals assisting in researching and developing, new products and modifications to existing software to improve the overall efficiencies of product offerings. They will need to create and test new ideas and solutions in a “proof of concept” manner with the ultimate goal of proving whether it is viable and worth the company implementing. Full documentation and reporting to be compiled showing outcomes and recommendation for moving forward. Prior to actual development, the R&D developer will be required to assist in researching the current industry landscape, relevant to the scope of the project being worked on. They should have at least 3-4 years of experience in coding, testing and implementing configuration changes and assisting in the design of software applications to meet both functional and technical requirements. Having research and statistical experience is a plus.
Knowledge, experience and skills
• Proven work experience as a computer software engineer or software developer
• Hands on experience in designing interactive applications
• Ability to develop software in C, C++, C#, Java, PHP or other selected languages
• Excellent knowledge of Relational Databases, SQL and MySql technologies
• Experience in developing web applications using the Net MVC framework
• Experience with test-driven development
• Mastery in software engineering tools
• Ability to document requirements and specifications
• Familiarity with software development methodology and release processes
• A degree or National Diploma in Software Engineering
• Excellent research skills
• Excellent documentation skills
• Ability to identify business opportunities from statistics and research reports as well as third-party offerings
Thinking and decision making
• Deals with complex escalated problem within own area
• Identifies patterns and trends and makes themselves knowledgeable of it
• Provides in-depth analysis of problems and proposes solutions
• Makes time to review projects, to identify and learn from successes and problems
• Seeks out advice from the companies People / Skills Networks etc to arrive as high-quality decisions.
• Grasps concepts fast
• Out of the box solutions driven thinking
• Debriefs and gives feedback sensitively, gives constructive criticism whilst at the same time keeping up motivation
• Where there is disagreement facilitates discussion to negotiate a way forward
• Works to enhance the companies reputation e.g. through maximizing PR opportunities
• Makes persuasive high-level presentations internally
• Good understanding of own culture, own body language and impact on other cultures; perceptive about hidden agendas
Team working and leadership
• Treats everyone with respect irrespective of their level, background or discipline/profession.
• Supports other, even when they have made mistakes
• Identifies and actions training needs (own and others).
• Spots when tasks/projects are going off the rails and intervenes / assists in good time
• Strengthens team by incorporating specialists e.g. identified through the companies People
• Deals with people issues fairly and consistently
Planning and organising
• Realistic about own and others’ capabilities
• Ensures people have the investment/resources/ training they need to carry out their jobs/projects
• Switches quickly between different levels of thinking to be able to stand back and see the big picture
• Makes significant changes in own area to meet strategic needs.
• Very organised
The Benefits of joining Ozow is that you get to experience vibrant growth first hand. Come and be part of this highly energetic, enthusiastic, positive team with a sole focus on growth - personally as individuals, and locally and globally as a trendsetter. We are big into a healthy and balanced lifestyle by encouraging healthy diets and activity.
Come and join in the fun with us! *