Chief Financial Officer (CFO) Job Description
Reporting To: CEO & COO
Location: Johannesburg or Cape Town
The CFO in the context of Ozow (Scale-up)
The role of the CFO within Ozow has some key differences to the CFO role within a more stable corporate. Within a scaling business, the CFO is right at ground zero alongside the CEO and COO in defining the ultimate vision, setting the strategy to achieve the vision and transforming the operating model to deliver success.
A crucial overriding principle for the Ozow CFO role is the need for a relentless focus and obsession on scale. All decisions and actions should be taken with an eye on the value creation opportunity and potential impact on scale. Being completely focused on scale and how best to achieve it increases the probability of success and minimises the likelihood of blockers derailing the journey.
And more so than ever before, technology must be leveraged to facilitate the focus on scale. Understanding and adopting digital technology to simplify the complexities associated with rapid growth is very much on the Ozow CFO’s shoulders. Being able to transform significant volumes of available data into relevant business intelligence can inform and accelerate the Ozow CFO’s decision making and drive growth further and faster.
The intensity and pace of Ozow's journey can create a challenging and often stressful environment in which to operate; not all CFOs relish this shift, and many don’t succeed but for those that understand and fulfil the scale-up expectations, the rewards of the journey can and will be significant.
What Ozow needs from you
- The CFO must be able to perform effective risk management and plan the organization’s financial strategy. It is a very important and complex role since an organization can only survive if it actively investigates and safeguards its finances.
- The CFO must be well-versed in all aspects of financial management ranging from simple accounting to broad investment and banking operations. The ideal candidate will be an excellent leader since all relative departments of the organization will be under his/her command
- You will be the leader of capital raising efforts, pursuing relationships and deals with major VCs and a wide range of other potential investors, while driving strategic initiatives with significant financial elements.
- You will need to deeply understand our businesses, both qualitatively and quantitatively, and develop metrics most relevant to strategic goals. Your analysis and insights into our numbers will be a key part of our decision-making.
- The goal is to protect the company’s revenues and profits to achieve full financial control and sustainable growth. action, sales or relevant field
What the job entails
- Accurately and timely reporting of Financial Performance against Financial Forecast
- Drive the company’s financial planning
- Perform risk management by analysing the organization’s liabilities and investments
- Decide on investment strategies by considering cash and liquidity risks
- Drive, Control and Evaluate the organization’s fundraising initiatives and capital structure
- Ensure cash flow is appropriate for the organization’s operations
- Closely monitor and manage business expenditure, delivering on month on month and quarter on quarter EBITDA growth
- Prepare reliable current and forecasting reports
- Manage vendor relationships
- Set up and oversee the company’s finance IT system. Furthermore, to drive technology advancements within the business to eliminate non-value-added activities.
- Ensure compliance with the law and company’s policies
- Manage and supervise a team of financial controllers and financial analysts (where needed).
- Understand what the drivers of the business are and set monthly goals to ensure the company is holding itself accountable to the correct metrics (Build and manage the Business Scorecard).
- Drive Business Intelligence – Mine, Structure, interpret Data and implement processes into the business, building a clear roadmap of the direction the business need to take to achieve its financial objectives.
- Help manage operations to find how to improve and develop a better product(s) or to optimise on its existing products.
- Manage Bank relationships i.e. opening of bank accounts and accurately manage internet banking profile required for Ozow to test and integrate both locally and internationally.
- Develop strong Finance and Tax working models e.g. Section 11A deductions, R&D Allowances, etc (SA) and any other allowances available to Ozow in other Markets.
- 5 to 10 years of experience in top-tier finance roles, including both PE/VC work and CFO experience at a successful scale-up.
- Superior financial acumen, including experience in a sophisticated finance organization, providing analytical insight and perspective based on presentation and analysis of financial and operating data
- In-depth knowledge of corporate finance law and risk management practices
- Strong understanding and experience with end to end process of raising capital rounds with venture capital
- Strong communication and relationship skills with a vast network, energized by constant in-person networking
- Ability to execute in a complex and evolving scale-up environment
- Excellent ability to determine key financial metrics and other KPIs for diverse businesses, and present in a simple, easy-to-digest format
- Proficient in the use of MS Office and financial management software (e.g. SAP)
- Ability to strategize and solve problems
- Strong leadership and organizational skills
- Ability to inform strategic and operational decisions utilizing KPI's and own sound judgement
- CPA is a strong advantage
- BSc/BA in Accounting, Finance or relevant field; MSc/MBA
The Benefits of joining Ozow is that you get to experience vibrant growth first hand. Come and be part of this highly energetic, enthusiastic, positive team whose sole focus is on growth, growing personally as individuals, locally and globally as a trendsetter. We are big into a healthy and balanced lifestyle by encouraging healthy diets and activity.
Come join in on the fun!