Ozow is the future of payment — a world-class payment platform for customers and merchants that is Ozow easy, Ozow fast and Ozow secure. With benefits as big as our ambitions, we’re looking for candidates who can inspire us and be inspired by us. We’re striving to become the industry leader that provides the simplest and easiest way to pay. And while we’re on our way to building an inclusive payments market, we’re building an equally inclusive workforce. So, join us as we achieve big things and beyond.
More about this Ozow fantastic position
As the Chief of Staff, you will be a member of the executive team who plans and directs all administrative, financial, and operational activities for the organisation's CEO and other executive team members. You will organise and prioritise critical issues and required information for the executive to facilitate efficient decision making.
You act as a point of contact between top management and other stakeholders both inside and outside of the organisation. You provide oversight and guidance on projects of high importance and additionally, may act as an advisor to the CEO. The Chief of Staff will be responsible for the management of executive support staff, namely the Executive Management Assistant, and reports to the CEO along with the rest of the Executive Team.
The Chief of Staff manages a departmental function within a broader corporate function. You develop major goals to support broad functional objectives and approve policies developed within various sub-functions and departments. You will also need to have a comprehensive knowledge of the overall departmental functions and the business in general.
You are an ideal candidate if you have:
- A degree in Business Administration or similar field (MBA advantageous)
- 10+ years in a business or executive management role
- Proven experience organising and directing multiple teams and departments
- Proven experience with data analysis
- Proven experience with financial management
- Consulting experience with a focus on operations management
- Strong project reporting skills, with a focus on interdepartmental communication
Your roles and responsibilities:
- Oversee strategic business initiatives (programs, projects) from the development of strategy through successful execution under the guidance of the CEO.
- Assist and communicate with Executives in decision-making, strategic and operational program management (special projects), and initiative implementation.
- Improve current processes and coordinate organisational procedures for optimised efficiency and productivity by working with Executive Committee team members.
- Conduct research and summarise learnings to advise the CEO on strategic priorities.
- Serve as liaison between staff, executives, senior leaders, and CEO on project updates, proposals, and planning.
- Build and develop relationships with all employees for increased efficiency and effective responsiveness into existing operations and help to define new operational strategies and tactical rollout.
- Serve as a subject matter expert, handling inquiries and developing action plans to address them, and assisting with the preparation and dissemination of communications.
- Support the productivity of Leadership Meetings by owning the planning, agenda, notes, and execution of action items and distilling discussions and thoughts from team meetings into strategic action plans (developed in partnership with your Executive Committee colleagues) to be executed upon either by yourself or your colleagues.
- Execute deliverables with a hands-on approach including drafting specific correspondence from the CEO and other tasks that facilitate the ability to effectively execute top priorities.
- Drive execution of all action items (operational, program, and project-specific) agreed upon by the CEO in partnership with the Executive Committee or on your own.
- Create structure and focus for broad, ambiguous ideas that the Executive Committee is exploring and bring forth recommendations for action in a timely manner by consulting with your colleagues.
- Provide ad-hoc support on projects small to large; including research, financial modeling, internal initiatives, new expansion explorations, etc.
- Travel with or on behalf of our CEO to high-priority events.
- Work closely with Finance and IT teams to ensure that teams are properly equipped to report on and realise strategic goals/priorities.
- Ensure that the CEO's time is leveraged effectively, including making sure the correct participants are in meetings and problem solving with stakeholders in advance to maximise their time with the CEO.
- Maintain a critical eye to ways the CEO's time can be best utilised by formally and informally assessing systems in place and implementing new ways to make things work better.
- Own behind-the-scenes preparation to make CEO meetings, both internal and external, successful, including the tracking and monitoring of action items that stem from these meetings.
- Partner closely with the Executive Management Assistant to the CEO to optimise the CEO's schedule, using your knowledge of current priorities internally and externally.
- Participate in the analysis of key business trends, operational reporting, KPI/OKR reporting, highlighting variances, and explanations of differences in partnership with the relevant Executive Committee team members.
- Serve as the primary liaison to the Board of Directors and oversee the planning and execution of all Board meetings.
Your skills and experience
- Analytical. You are able to structure and process qualitative and quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it. You exhibit a probing mind and achieve deep insights.
- Flexible/ adaptable. You adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. You cope effectively with complexity and change.
- A good communicator. You speak and write clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative.
- Calm under pressure. You maintain a stable performance when under heavy pressure or stress.
- High standards. You expect personal performance and team performance to be nothing short of the best.
- Team player. You are able to work well with all teams, including the technical team to prioritise projects and accelerate time to market for new products.
- Honest and have integrity. You do not cut corners ethically. You earn trust and maintain the confidence of clients and team members.
- Strategic in your thinking/visionary. You can see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. You determine opportunities and threats through a comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
- Innovative. You generate new and innovative approaches to problems.
- Entrepreneurial. You have experience creating new value within the business.
- Data-driven. You have experience utilising data from across the business to drive insights and better decision making.
- Digitally competent. You are aware of the most relevant or common technologies and can decide upon the most appropriate technology according to the purpose or need at hand.
- A good listener. You let others speak and seek to understand their viewpoints.
- Assertive. You move quickly and take a forceful stand without being overly abrasive.
- Open to criticism and ideas. You often solicit feedback and react calmly to criticism or negative feedback
- Persuasive. You are able to convince others to pursue a course of action.
Health and safety first
These are unprecedented times and because our people couldn’t be more important to us, health and safety couldn’t be more important to us. We’ve made sure that our office is a safe place to work and we’ll continue to do so, to ensure that we combat the spread of COVID-19.
Benefits as big as our ambitions — huge
At Ozow, first and foremost, you’ll get to do meaningful work and grow your career. But we’re also not your average 9-5 company. We work together and play together and because we really care, we offer plenty of perks too.
Some of the things to look forward to:
Fitness challenges and healthy eating. Medical and Life insurance plans. Be the hero or toast the hero of the month at first-Friday drinks. Take half a day off from work on your birthday and let us celebrate this special day with you by giving you a little spoil. Your family is our family, they to get spoils and get to join us on special events. Our holistic wellness program will give you access to a toll-free confidential telephonic counselling line which is available in all 11 languages, 365 days a year. We thrive on seeing our team members grow by creating a learning culture. There is so much more where this came from, but enough to get you excited.
Convinced? We thought so.
If we seem like the kind of forward-thinking, progress-making, energetic company you’ve been waiting for, give us a shout. We’d love to hear from you.